- J.D., Western Michigan University, The Thomas M. Cooley Law School, cum laude
- B.A., University of Minnesota
- Illinois, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
Donald Elder focuses his practice on insurance coverage, reinsurance, and commercial litigation. He also represents motor carriers, logistics companies, owner-operators and insurers in virtually all aspects of transportation litigation, from property damage and personal injury litigation to employment practices claims to transactional disputes. Don is skilled at handling matters in state and federal courts, at arbitration, and before administrative tribunals.
In addition to his practice, Don has assisted in drafting Chapter 9 "Exclusion by Risk" of the 2008 Commercial and Professional Liability Insurance handbook. Don also participates a volunteer evaluator for Cook County Mock Trial Competitions, as well as, the “Lawyers in the Classroom” program. The Lawyers in the Classroom program is organized by the Constitutional Rights Foundation on behalf of the Chicago Public School system. Through the program, attorneys lead interactive lessons in elementary classrooms geared toward helping students to understand the U.S. Constitution and the U.S. legal system.